Friday, January 28, 2011

Noddy - Character, Books by Enid Blyton

Enid Blyton's books have been such an important aspect of my growing up years. Those were the only books I read for a good number of years. She has the ability to carve out characters that are so lovable. I must thank her for bringing in me, the habit of reading!
Noddy was the first book I had read and he remains my favorite character till date. His childlike thinking and misunderstandings still amuses me.

Noddy is a little wooden boy who lives in his own house in Toyland. He is a kind and caring boy. Noddy has several adventures with his friends especially Big Ears, a brownie, and his pet Bumpy dog. Noddy drives a taxi around Toyland and every other toy in Toyland knows about his arrival by hearing the horn of his taxi or the jingle of the bells on his hat. Each book of the noddy series lists his adventures and as the series goes on, Noddy becomes wiser.  Every book has a charm that will linger with you even after you have finished reading the book.
As a child , I remember playing pretend games with an imaginary Noddy and me being Noddy's best friend. The bedroom used to be Toyland.

The books from the Noddy series are picture books, with wonderful illustrations of Noddy, his friends and Toyland. Later on Noddy was made into an animation series and was run on television. These television shows are popular with kids even to this day.  Now a days Noddy is being moved to different forms and is available as toys, games, stationary and there have been stage adaptations of this character also. He even has a website dedicated to him which is an online replica of Toyland. The website has wonderful games and other freebies like wallpapers and music makers.
I love the little wooden boy dressed in blue and red with the long blue jingling hat and nodding head.

No comments:

Post a Comment